i dont really understand this whole "called" concept.
honestly, it sounds like a bunch of bologna (bill-o-knee, the stuff that goes on sandwiches..lol)
i never got a phone call from God saying, "hey daniel...hi, its God... ..calm down... Calm down.......... ok, Id like you to become a missionary, ok? thanks!"
or anything like that at all. i used my senses to figure out that im supposed to be a missionary, and anyone else can use their senses to figure out the same thing. never in the Bible does it say "wait until theres something you feel like doing, and go do that!"
but no, instead, Jesus said to all of His disciples with ALL AUTHORITY IN HEAVEN AND ON EARTH, for us to go out into the world and spread the gospel, teaching people to obey everything He has commanded and all that neat stuff.
but a lot of you like to say you Will be doing that through your nurse or doctor or something else field. what makes you think that? do people call the doctor for a sermon or for their bodys wants/needs? do they need a nurse for their soul or for bodily care? this is just body stuff, but people arent bodies. people are lost sheep, needing God.
this is what Jesus said:
" You are my friends if you do what I command." - John 15:14
"If you love me, keep my commandments" - John 14:15
ok, so what are Jesus commandments? preach the gospel unto ALL nations. plain and simple. this quite obviously means were not supposed to set up base camp and have a nice house and then be a doctor or something, just going into the hospital every morning helping people with their everdying bodies, and then supposedly spreading Gods word without our mouths. comon, you Know that unless you Own the hospital or unless the hospital is christian, youre not going to be able to so easily preach or even pray right in your doctors office or right beside your patients bed.
how do you expect to convince anyone to give up their lives for Jesus if you arent even willing? becoming a doctor is something you do Because You Want To. you want the pay, you want the nice outfit, and neat experiences or whatever else it is that makes becoming a doctor seem better than becoming like paul. you Want to become a doctor - it isnt a special calling. there are gifts of the Holy Spirit, yes, but none of them are about medical school.
so try and tell me that you arent becoming a nurse or a doctor or an electrician or a soldier for yourself. try and tell me youre doing it for Jesus because He called you to do it. then show me that in the Bible.
He calls _Everyone_ to become a missionary - no that doesnt necessarily mean we all leave the Untied States by tomorrow, that is always assumed but i never say that, but it does mean to go out and spread the gospel unto all nations - and we can definitely start here.
He calls everyone to become a missionary. no one is called to dance or become an electrician or whatever.
read this please:
57. And it came to pass, that, as they went in the way, a certain man said unto him, Lord, I will follow you anywhere you go.
58. And Jesus said unto him, Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man has not where to lay his head.
doesnt this mean that Jesus is homeless? doesnt this mean, "if you want to follow me, you will be homeless" ?? and Wasnt it written for us to read?
59. And he said unto another, Follow me. But he said, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.
60. Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go you and preach the kingdom of God.
see how important it is to follow Jesus and not just go and do what you want? who, becoming a _doctor_ will become a missionary? how can you say you spread the gospel if youre job is to heal broken bones and such? that is your _job_.
61. And another also said, Lord, I will follow you; but let me first go bid them farewell, which are at home at my house.
62. And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.
really think about all of this please, im trying to help you.
as a doctor/nurse/whatever, you will never - while on the job - spread the gospel More than heal broken bones and such or whatever ti is that you signed up for. it just wont happen. and even if it did happen, did Jesus say He wants most of your life or some or half or what?
no.. _all_ of it.
32. Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.
realize it wont be so easy to confess Jesus before men if youre a doctor working in a secular hospital.
33. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.
youll be forced to value one over the other.
34. Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
that is, Jesus words - including the ones we are reading now.
35. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
36. And a mans foes shall be they of his own household.
37. He that loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
and id assume that he that loves his secular career more than Jesus is not worthy of Him.
38. And he that takes not his cross, and follows after me, is not worthy of me.
39. He that finds his life shall lose it: and he that loses his life for my sake shall find it.
did you see that? it says he that FINDS his life shall lose it. how do you find your life? it sounds like these secular "callings" are really everyones own "finding." like i said above, nobody ever gets a phone call, but all the scripture is ready in the Bible.
tell me please, is this what Jesus wants when He says for us to follow Him? this below:
17. From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
18. And Jesus, walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brethren, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers.
19. And he says unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
20. And they immediately left their nets, and followed him.
21. And going on from thence, he saw other two brethren, James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother, in a ship with Zebedee their father, mending their nets; and he called them.
22. And they immediately left the ship and their father, and followed him.
i dont think He said "you can stay fishermen, but spread the gospel too" and i dont think He said "you can stay fishermen, but be christian fishermen!" and i am completely certain that He did not say, "you can follow me later, whenever youre ready"
no, none of those things. Jesus wants us to follow Him _now_, so spread the gospel. you can figure out how.
and Please please please please please do not try and tell me that if God wanted everyone to become missionaries, then oh no who would they missionary to if everyone is a missionary? well God is very smart. Hes smarter than me and you and everybody else, right? lets act like it then. God is completely aware that most of you will ignore this, that most of you will disregard it saying youre fine, and that most of you will prefer to keep your life than give it up Entirely.
so when He says to His disciples, "go unto ALL nations and spread the gospel" He knows only a few are listening. He knows whether youre listening or not.
you can say "well, doctors are needed!" and "well, nurses are needed!" and "people like to see me dance, its needed!" and whatever, but who is in charge? who do we serve? who is our Lord and Savior, Master and King? not mankind, not the world. this is what Jesus said was needed:
37 Then saith he unto his disciples, The harvest truly is plenteous, but the labourers are few;
38 Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he will send forth labourers into his harvest.
please stop pretending that living for God is a part time job, that giving your life to God is a part time job, and that dying to yourself doesnt include denying secular callings. its not at all about that.
if you believe i am wrong, show me with scripture please. i dont want to argue with the thoughts and opinions that are of man, but anyone seeking the truth will understand everything im saying.
thanks for reading!