I found this list saved in my inbox from long ago. I thought it was a great list to see if the person you are in a relationship with truly has the qualities it takes to be a good lifelong partner. What do you guys think of the list? Is there anything you would add yourself?
Guys, it is directed towards the females, but just change the wording so it fits for you.;)
The Good Husband List:
1. How does he treat his mother/sisters? If he has no respect for them, what makes you think he will treat you any differently?
2. How does he handle his money? Although it might seem flattering now when he blows his whole paycheck to take you out some place fancy, trust me, down the road you will see that paying the bills might become difficult for him.
3. Is he willing to help around the house, or does he consider things like washing dishes, scrubbing the floor and taking out the trash "women’s work?"
4. Is he stingy? Although it’s not good to be too lavish with spending, it is still important to have a generous spirit.
5. How does he handle criticism? Can his ego take it, or does he have to be right? Is he willing to listen to wise counsel, or is he defensive?
6. What does he laugh at? A man’s sense of humor can tell you a lot about him. If he doesn’t have a sense of humor, beware!
7. Does he ask, or does he demand? Does he know how to be a servant, or does he expect to be served? Which of the two do you want to spend the rest of your life with?
8. Does he have a relationship with God? I am not talking about whether or not he shows up at church. I mean, are he and Jesus tight? Is the Lord his top priority in his life? Does he pray and talk with the Lord throughout the day? Does he read the Bible to get to know the Lord and become a changed man or does he read it because he is supposed to? Is he committed to living his life in a God-pleasing way?
9. Does he tell the truth? Is he a man with integrity? Does he stretch the truth?
10. Have you ever seen him really, really sick? How did he handle it?
11. Is he kind? Compassionate? Does he make jokes at the expense of others? Does he offer to help when he sees a need? Does he know how to be gentle and patient? How do you think these things can indicate the kind of husband, father, and lover he will be?
12. Does he have bad habits that negatively affect his walk with the Lord and his witness for the Lord? Does he want to change? He can make all kinds of promises about how he is going to change, but you are foolish if you commit to him before you start seeing the progress. Bad habits include drinking and smoking to excess, gambling, a filthy and perverse mouth, addiction to sports, and pornography to name a few. Are you willing to live with these things and allow them to be modeled for your children?
13. Does he like children? How about dogs or other pets?
14. Does he have life goals? Is he working towards those goals? Is he ambitious without being fanatical?
15. How does he behave when something makes him really angry? A moody man with lots of ups and downs and who is given to bouts of temper is not a man who can be relied upon or trusted as a safe haven.
16. Is he on time? Does he keep his word when he has agreed to do something?
17. Does he listen to you? Does he love and respect you enough to wait until marriage to have sex (this includes every form of sexual physical intimacy)? If he does not respect you now, why do you think he will respect you later? Would you want this man doing these things to your sister, daughter, niece, or best friend before marriage?
18. Can you pray together? Do you pray together?
19. What would you tell your closest friend to be leary of if she was the one dating your boyfriend? What things would you want to warn her about that you are not willing to honestly look at yourself?
20. Think of a female that you love, respect, and admire more than any other and ask yourself, "Would you want her to marry someone like him?" Would you want your daughter to marry him?